Sunday, January 17, 2010

Salt, Half Salt or No Salt!

Most people at the grocery store today would've thought I was crazy, I was standing in front of the salt rack for 15 minutes debating and talking to myself about what I wanted to get for salt!

I had three options, regular table salt (sodium chloride), half salt (mix of sodium and potassium chloride) and no salt (potassium chloride). It was a hard decision for me, the cook in me wanted the regular salt and the health fanatic in me wanted the no salt, normally I would've picked the half salt as a balanced mid point but then I remembered my mother telling me my salt isn't salty enough when she was visiting during the summer and she cooked using the half salt!

But before I tell you how I made my decision let's think why is sodium so bad for us?

Well sodium isn't really bad for us, it's too much sodium that's bad for us, here's a quote from Health Canada on the issue of sodium:
Sodium is a nutrient found in table salt and many other foods. While the body needs some sodium to function, too much may lead to high blood pressure, a major risk factor for stroke, heart disease and kidney disease. Most Canadians consume more sodium than may be good for their health.
Source: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/sodium-eng.php

Health Canada recommends that adults do not exceed 2,300 mg of sodium per day!

I haven't used salt in my cooking in nearly 3 months, but I wanted to make a dough and you just need to use salt when making a dough. So I had to make a decision, I was strongly against the regular table salt and figured if the half salt wasn't salty enough then the no salt wouldn't be salty at all, and that's when the decision was made, Half Salt it is!

Everything in moderation is a good thing, but we seem to forget that quickly when it comes to convenience!

No comments:

Post a Comment